Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity. ~weil
I am so guilty of this one… sitting in front of the computer screen, wanting to say something relevant to the land beyond called “Online”, say something to inspire, to share what was happening in my business life, to connect with people. Instead of saying something intelligent, I say something really dumb just to say something, and then wonder why people didn’t like or comment on my post. As I started to experiment with client work and content efforts for my own enterprise, I learned a few things.
Making content is shit work if you don’t do it this way.
You may as well do it this way so people start talking about you and how cool you are.
When you are so cool that everyone wants to be your friend, you will stop taking appointments and your business will be rolling in both customers and dough. Not like real bread dough, but yes, your customers will want to party with you, you being the crowd surfing fool with all the people at your party.
So here goes…
The 11 Step Simple PR Hack for Small Business Owners (and people who want to be more courageous in life)
1. Do Cool Shit! Do you build schools in Mali? Do you feed the homeless every weekend? What about play softball with your employees while raising awareness for the Boys and Girls Club? Who knows and why would anyone care? Your goal as a CEO is to make money, and now that you are making money, and you’d like to have some fun with it, you’ve got to start stirring up the pot; tell more people about the cool shit you are already up to. This strategy works whether you are doing the thing now, you did it yesterday, or you will be doing it in three weeks.
See also Handful of Headlines to get your creative brain activated and give you some ideas of how to create content for your business. Here.
2. Post pics and a three paragraph description on Facebook about what you’re up to. Make it a small party on the FB and tag as many people and organizations as you can, sharing about how you care, and you believe in them, and you have gratitude for every tiny fiber on their head! When people hear information, they’re likely to remember only 10% of that information three days later. However, if a relevant image is paired with that same information, people retained 65% of the information three days later. (BrainRules) To top it off, after you’ve taken 3 minutes to do this part of the strategy, you will be way ahead of the curve for the rest!
3. Take that image, and your three paragraphs, and 7 more images you took, and post it to your website under the blog section, tagging the shit out of it. Yes, SEO your good deeds. You know it works! Did you know that 1 in 10 blog posts are compounding, meaning organic search increases their traffic over time. (Hubspot, 2016)
4. Take that same content, and post it to your LinkedIn articles. LinkedIn search engine has way better results than your website right away, and your site since it was the first site to display the content will get original authorship.
5. Because you have a cool plugin like digg digg on your site, it will make this step easy. Post this content with your unique thoughts around on your profiles, all linking back to your website. Each profile is different, and has unique posting requirements, and I am going to assume you know how to post content if you are on that platform. Now post away!
6. On the sidebar of your website, make sure to have some CTA (call-to-action) for when people come to see more pics of the cool shit you are doing, wishing of course that they were like you. Don’t expect anyone to buy, but be ready to be loved, and because you are loved for what you believe and do, people will want to be your friend.
7. Make a short SnapChat Video talking about how grateful you are to have such a cool life, where you get to hang with cool people, travel to awesome places, and learn about the greatest cultures on the planet. Snapchat users watch 10 billion videos per day. (Boomerang) Save video from Snapchat, and upload it to Instagram and YouTube. YouTube reaches more 18+-year-olds during prime-time viewing hours than any cable TV network. (Think with Google)
8. Embed said video onto your original web article. Your embedding to get people to come to your site to watch it versus going elsewhere. 53% of people want to see more video content from marketers and on the other hand, 51.9% of marketing professionals worldwide name video as the type of content with the best ROI. (Hubspot)
9. If it is really cool, grab someone else from upwork and have them make a press release out of it and get it into the hands of your local media. Make sure to post this media release to your blog/media page. SIDENOTE: The media, likely, will not cover you, but they will begin to fall in love with you because you do cool shit.
10. If said media does cover you for being such an awesome human being with such a joyful, grateful spirit, take any news stories and embed them on a media page housed on your site for such occasions.
11. Repeat by doing more cool shit. Remember one huge rule: Doing Cool Shit Makes You Magnetic, unless you smell bad. However, if you smell bad because you are doing cool shit, like climbing to the top of a beautiful mountain, pay no attention to above said comment, and keep climbing mountains. I trust you will smell amazing when you are done climbing and after you have taken a shower.
Need an awesome speaker who can delight and have some fun for your next event? Check availability for CC Horton here.